Bohlin Gemini HR nano
Optimized for ultra low torque capabilities.
The Bohlin Gemini HR nano rheometer offers ultra-low torque measurements to extend the capabilities for the rheological characterization of low viscosity, low volume and weakly structured materials. This top of the range research instrument incorporates a high resolution air bearing providing nano torque measurement performance for both controlled stress and controlled strain test modes.
Providing the widest continuous torque range for fluid measurements with Peltier Temperature Control Units, the modular Bohlin Gemini HR nano rheometer can also be configured with specialist accessories applicable to a wide variety of application areas.
- State-of-the-art High Resolution air bearing design enabling nano torque measurement capability and extended measurements for low viscosity, low volume and weakly structured materials.
- Adaptive Rotonetic™ 2 technology enables direct strain controlled oscillation at demand strain amplitude for accurate control of sample strain history.
- Ultra low inertia motor and bearing design offering uncompromised dynamic response.
- Proprietary hybrid position sensing technology enabling both sub micro-strain deformations and unsurpassed dynamic speed range.
- Active thermal mode to ensure constant gap set is maintained for tests using temperature profiles.
- High resolution and high sensitivity Normal Force sensor which is capable of measurements down to just 0.1g.
- Integrated Peltier Temperature Control Unit electronics for a complete and compact rotational rheometer system.
- Modular system with a wide range of EasySwap™ temperature controllers and specialist measurement cells.
- Wide variety of measurement geometries for all material types including plates, cones, concentric cylinders, solids fixtures and disposable options.
- Software test modes for Viscometry (viscosity measurements), Oscillation (viscoelasticity measurements), Relaxation, Creep and Recovery and Multiwave, with advanced data processing.
How it works
The Bohlin Gemini is a rotational rheometer system that applies controlled shear deformation to a sample under test, to enable measurement of flow properties (such as shear viscosity from flow tests) and dynamic material properties (such viscoelastic modulus and phase angle from oscillation tests).
A rotational rheometer system comprises several key components to enable robust, reliable and accessible rheological measurements for a particular sample or application:
- Rheometer base unit. Control of key system functions, including torque (for stress control), rotational position change (for strain or rate control), normal force and vertical position change (for sample loading and gap set).
- Measuring system or geometry. The measuring system is the link between the rheometer and the sample, and defines the applied shear field. The type of measuring system must be appropriate to the sample type and the test under consideration.
- Temperature or environmental control unit. Accurate control is essential since rheological properties are a strong function of temperature and environmental conditions.
- Instrument software. Rheological testing can be, by its nature, relatively complex to set up. The Bohlin software utilizes a ‘flow chart’-type interface for configuring necessary parameters all test modes to enable both simplicity and flexibility of test set-up.
If you are unsure as to specifying an appropriate rheometer model for your application, Malvern recommend contacting us for further advice and/or a sample test and evaluation report.
Understanding the application under consideration, and the associated rheological test requirements, is a key factor in selecting the most appropriate rheometer system.
- Torque range (Viscometry -
Controlled Rate and
- 10nNm to 200mNm.
- Torque range (Oscillation -
Controlled Strain and
- 3nNm to 200mNm.
- Torque resolution:
- Better than 1nNm.
- Position resolution:
- Frequency range:
- 1µHz to 150Hz.
- Controlled speed range (CR mode):
- 0.01mrads-1 to 600rads-1
- Measurable speed range (CS mode):
- 10nrads-1 to 600rads-1
- Normal Force range:
- 0.001N to 20N (50N optional).
- Step change in strain:
- Temperature control range
- -150°C to 550°C.
- Weight and dimensions:
- Dimensions (with Peltier plate):
- 52cm (H) x 33cm (W) x 37cm (D).
- Weight (with Peltier plate):
- Operating environment:
- Nominal operating voltage:
- 110V or 220V.
- 15°C – 40°C.
- 35% - 80% non-condensing.
The Bohlin range of rheometers can be configured with a variety of environmental and temperature control units, measuring systems and specialist accessories to cover a wide variety of application requirements.
Comprehensive range of standard sensor systems.
Peltier temperature controller for use with cone-plate and parallel plate measuring systems.
Peltier temperature controller for use with concentric cylinder measuring systems.
Electrically-heated plate temperature controller with air (vortex) cooling.
Electrically-heated upper and lower plate temperature controller.
Forced gas oven temperature controller with liquid nitrogen cooling option.
Closed system up to 40bar pressure and circulating fluid temperature control.
Closed system with electrical-heating for operation up to 300bar pressure and 300°C.
Optical cell enabling transmission of UV light into test sample.