The Malvern DSR asphalt rheometer is proven as the benchmark system for Quality Control testing to industry standards in regulated markets worldwide.
- Developed in close association with industry researchers to meet all instrument criteria and test protocols of AASHTO (American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials) standards.
- Compact, integrated unit designed specifically for ease of use and robustness in high throughput Asphalt binder (bitumen) test environments.
- Air bearing and mechanical bearing options to provide robust and cost-effective measurement platforms for any industrial laboratory or remote field testing location.
- Integrated fluid immersion cell specifically based on patented principle for temperature control of highly thermally-sensitive asphalt or bitumen samples.
- Rapid thermal equilibration and elimination of thermal gradients in the sample - essential for consistent and reliable data, and optimized sample throughput.
- Excellent temperature stability and accuracy, with a resolution of ± 0.01°C.
- Rapid, robust manual gap set, with pre-set gaps for AASHTO tests for simplicity of use.
- Active thermal mode to ensure constant gap is maintained for all temperature test points.
- Plate measuring systems (both upper and lower plates) designed to comply with industry standards (AASHTO).
- Dedicated AASHTO specification QC software package (TruGrade) available.
The DSR is a dynamic shear rheometer system specifically configured to apply controlled shear deformation to asphalt binder or bitumen samples. The system enables measurement of flow properties (such as shear viscosity from flow tests) and dynamic material properties (such viscoelastic modulus and phase angle from oscillation tests) to Asphalt industry standards.
A dynamic shear rheometer system comprises several key components to enable robust, reliable and accessible rheological measurements for asphalt or bitumen:
- Rheometer base unit. Control of key system functions, including torque (for stress control), rotational position change (for strain or rate control), and vertical position change (for sample loading and gap set).
- Measuring system or geometry. The measuring system is the link between the rheometer and the sample, and defines the applied shear field. The type of measuring system must comply with industry standards in regulated markets (e.g. AASHTO standards).
- Temperature control unit. Accurate control and equilibration (with minimized thermal gradients) is essential for robust rheological data (and therefore grading) of asphalt binders, due to highly temperature-sensitive properties.
- Instrument software. Rheological testing can be, by its nature, relatively complex to set up. TruGrade QC package, or pre-configured research software for standard Asphalt binder (AASHTO) tests, ensure ease of use in all Asphalt test environments.
If you are unsure as to specifying an appropriate rheometer model for your application, Malvern recommend contacting us for further advice and/or a sample test and evaluation report.
Understanding the application under consideration, and the associated rheological test requirements, is a key factor in selecting the most appropriate rheometer system.
- Torque range:
- Air Bearing: 10µNm to 10mNm.
Mechanical bearing: 50µNm to 10mNm.
- Torque resolution:
- Position resolution:
- Frequency range:
- 10µHz to 100Hz
- Temperature control range:
- 5°C to 95°C (Total immersion cell)
(range can be extended depending on circulator fluid)
- Temperature accuracy:
- Better than ±0.1°C.
(Total immersion cell)
- Dimensions (W, D, H):
- 23cm x 35cm x 60cm
- 110V or 220V
- Temperature (operating):
- 15°C – 40°C
- 35% - 80% non-condensing. Back
Protect your investment and ensure optimized performance at all times with Malvern’s service plans.
When you purchase a Malvern product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Depending on your needs, Malvern will provide the support for your business.
- A simple mechanism for receiving updates and new features
Malvern’s service options- choose the right plan for you:
Malvern Platinum Plan
For laboratories where maximizing instrument up-time is critical to its daily performance. Our highest level of response and the 'all inclusive' price plan takes care of those unexpected repair bills should the unfortunate occur.
Malvern Gold Plan
Enhance your laboratory productivity by maintaining instrument efficiency. Still receive that priority response, combined with specialist technical and software support, we'll keep your instrument performance on track to deliver.
Malvern Bronze Visit
For laboratories looking to optimize instrument performance, regular preventative maintenance is essential.
|Platinum Plan||Gold Plan||Bronze Visit|
|Annual PM/PV Test|
|Telephone / Email Support|
|Emergency Breakdown visits*|
|Technical & Software Support|
*including labour & travel costs***available at an additional cost