The Mastersizer 2000 particle size analyzer has set the standard for simple, straightforward operation. Modular in design, it has a wide range of automated sample dispersion units for the measurement of wet and dry samples. These are controlled through SOPs, providing ease of method development and transfer.
- Broad particle size range suitable for many different applications.
- Wide range of sample dispersion options for emulsions, suspensions and dry powders.
- Fully automated simple SOP operation for ease of use and method transfer.
- Full validation documentation available including compliance with 21 CFR Part 11.
- Backed up by extensive applications knowledge across many different industries.
How it works
The Mastersizer 2000 uses the technique of laser diffraction to measure the size of particles. It does this by measuring the intensity of light scattered as a laser beam passes through a dispersed particulate sample. This data is then analyzed to calculate the size of the particles that created the scattering pattern.
A typical system is made up of three main elements:
Optical bench - A dispersed sample passes though the measurement area of the optical bench, where a laser beam illuminates the particles. A series of detectors then accurately measure the intensity of light scattered by the particles within the sample over a wide range of angles.
Sample dispersion units (accessories). Sample dispersion is controlled by a range of wet and dry dispersion units. These ensure the particles are delivered to the measurement area of the optical bench at the correct concentration and in a suitable, stable state of dispersion.
Instrument software. The Mastersizer 2000 software controls the system during the measurement process and analyzes the scattering data to calculate a particle size distribution.
- Laser light scattering.
- Mie and Fraunhofer scattering.
- Data acquisition rate:
- 1 kHz
- Red light source:
- Max. 4mW He-Ne, 632.8nm
- Blue light source:
- Max. 0.3mW LED, 470nm
- Lens arrangement:
- Reverse Fourier (convergent beam)
- Particle size:
- 0.02 - 2000 µm *
- Better than 1% (polydisperse standard) **
- Better than 1% variation (polydisperse standard)
- 21 CFR part 11:
- Enables an operating mode that assists with ER/ES compliance
- Dimensions (W, D, H):
- 1293mm x 255mm x 375mm
- 31 kg
- 100/240 V, 50/60 Hz
- Sample and sample preparation dependent.
- Accuracy defined for the recovery of the mean size of a narrow log-normal distribution. Sample and sample preparation dependant.
Latest software update
Wet dispersion units
Large volume automated wet dispersion accessory.
The Hydro 2000G is a fully automated large volume wet sample dispersion unit. It is most suitable for QC applications where representative sampling is important, as well as the measurement of polydisperse samples with very broad particle size distributions.
Large volume manual wet dispersion accessory
The Hydro 2000MU is a large volume manual wet sample dispersion unit designed for use with standard laboratory beakers.
Small volume automated wet dispersion accessory
The Hydro 2000S is a fully automated small volume wet sample dispersion unit. It is most suitable for applications where the amount of sample or volume of dispersant needs to be minimized.
Small volume entry level wet dispersion unit
The Hydro SM is a cost effective wet sample dispersion unit designed for measuring samples in non-aqueous dispersants where solvent usage needs to be minimized.
Small volume wet dispersion accessory
The Hydro 2000µP is a small volume wet sample dispersion unit designed specifically for measuring small quantities of high value or hazardous materials such as pharmaceutical actives.
High throughput particle size measurements.
For laboratories with a high sample throughput requirement, the Autosampler 2000 delivers fully automated particle size distribution measurements for the Mastersizer 2000. Automatic preparation and dispersion of samples gives true intervention-free operation to free key personnel for other tasks.
Dry dispersion units
Dry powder dispersion
The Scirocco 2000 is an automated dry powder dispersion unit for the Mastersizer 2000 particle size analyzer.
When you purchase a Malvern product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Some customers just need to ask an occasional question or to download a software upgrade, whilst others require a comprehensive support contract with priority call out and fixed cost of ownership. Whatever your situation Malvern will provide the right support for you.
- Telephone and email support.
- Operators who take responsibility for your call and ensure your query is answered.
- On Site training courses
- Classroom training
- Application notes
- Technical notes
- On demand presentations
- Live webinars
- A simple mechanism for receiving updates and new features
Platinum and Gold Service Contracts
- Protection from the cost of downtime
- No time lost in obtaining help when you need it
- Fixed cost of ownership
Bronze Service Agreements
- Protect the value of your investment
- Reduce the risk of downtime
- Protect the validity of your data