The Mastersizer 3000 laser diffraction particle size analyzer delivers rapid, accurate particle size distributions for both wet and dry dispersions with the minimum of effort. Measuring over the nanometer to millimeter particle size ranges, it packs exceptional performance into the smallest of footprints, bringing operator-independent measurements that every user can rely on.
The Mastersizer 3000 is the latest generation of the world’s most popular particle sizing instrument. Incorporating expert engineering and applications know-how into every stage of its design, it delivers:
- Class-leading particle sizing performance in a compact footprint.
- Intuitive software with built-in expertise to ease your workload.
- Flexible reporting to display your data the way you want it.
- Rapid and effective wet dispersion.
- Fast, reliable particle size measurement of fragile and cohesive dry powders.
- Mastersizer know-how throughout, for results you can rely on.
How it works
The Mastersizer 3000 uses the technique of laser diffraction to measure the size of particles. It does this by measuring the intensity of light scattered as a laser beam passes through a dispersed particulate sample. This data is then analyzed to calculate the size of the particles that created the scattering pattern.
A typical system is made up of three main elements:
- Optical bench - A dispersed sample passes though the measurement area of the optical bench, where a laser beam illuminates the particles. A series of detectors then accurately measure the intensity of light scattered by the particles within the sample for both red and blue light wavelengths and over a wide range of angles.
- Sample dispersion units (accessories). Sample dispersion is controlled by a range of wet and dry dispersion units. These ensure the particles are delivered to the measurement area of the optical bench at the correct concentration and in a suitable, stable state of dispersion.
- Instrument software. The Mastersizer 3000 software controls the system during the measurement process and analyzes the scattering data to calculate a particle size distribution. It also provides both instant feedback during method development and expert advice on the quality of the results.
- Particle size:
- Suspensions, emulsions, dry powders
- Laser light scattering
- Mie and Fraunhofer scattering
- Data acquisition rate:
- 10 kHz
- Typical measurement time:
- <10 sec
- Dimensions (W, D, H):
- 690mm x 300mm x 450mm
- 30 kg
- Red light source:
- Max. 4mW He-Ne, 632.8nm
- Blue light source:
- Max. 10mW LED, 470nm
- Lens arrangement:
- Reverse Fourier (convergent beam)
- Effective focal length:
- Log-spaced array
- Angular range:
- 0.015 - 144 degrees
- Particle size:
- 0.01 - 3500 µm *
- Number of size classes:
- 100 (user adjustable)
- Better than 0.6% **
- Precision / Repeatability:
- Better than 0.5% variation *
- Better than 1% variation *
- 21 CFR part 11:
- Enables an operating mode that assists with ER/ES compliance
- Laser safety:
- Class 1, IEC60825-1:2007 and
CFR Chapter I: Sub-chapterJ: Part 1040 (CDRH)
- Regulatory testing:
- RoHS and WEEE compliant
CE / FCC compliant
Meets requirements of the European Low Voltage directive
- 100/240 v, 50/60 Hz
50W (no dispersion units connected)
200W maximum (2 dispersion units connected)
- 80% maximum for temperatures up to 31°C,
decreasing linearly to 50% at 40°C. Non condensing.
- Operating temperature (°C):
- +5°C to +40°C
- Product storage temperature:
- -20°C to +50°C
- Ingress Protection (IP) rating:
- Sample and sample preparation dependent.
- Accuracy defined for the measurement of monomodal latex standards. This specification accounts for the manufacturer’s uncertainty in the latex size. Sample and sample preparation dependant.
- The Mastersizer 3000 optical bench is protected by patents; US6,778,271 and related filings; GB2,340,932; together with patents based on applications WO2013038161, WO2013038160 and WO2013038159.
Hydro MV and LV protected by EP1167946A2 and related filings.
Protect your investment and ensure optimized performance at all times with Malvern’s service plans.
When you purchase a Malvern product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Depending on your needs, Malvern will provide the support for your business.
Malvern’s service options- choose the right plan for you:
Malvern Platinum Plan
For laboratories where maximizing instrument up-time is critical to its daily performance. Our highest level of response and the 'all inclusive' price plan takes care of those unexpected repair bills should the unfortunate occur.
Malvern Gold Plan
Enhance your laboratory productivity by maintaining instrument efficiency. Still receive that priority response, combined with specialist technical and software support, we'll keep your instrument performance on track to deliver.
Malvern Bronze Visit
For laboratories looking to optimize instrument performance, regular preventative maintenance is essential.
|Platinum Plan||Gold Plan||Bronze Visit|
|Annual PM/PV Test|
|Telephone / Email Support|
|Emergency Breakdown visits*|
|Technical & Software Support|
*including labour & travel costs***available at an additional cost
Five ways that the Mastersizer 3000 saves you money
To earn its place in today’s busy analytical laboratories, an instrument must meet certain practical criteria, and stand-up to rigorous economic evaluation. For labs that need particle sizing, laser diffraction systems are typically the technology of...
Demo at your desk: Mastersizer 3000
Webinar - Recorded
This online demo is designed to get you close up and personal with the Mastersizer 3000. You will be given an insider's look at the instrument and its accessories via our lab webcam, and follow the measurement of typical pharmaceutical samples on the...
- Mastersizer 3000
- Date recorded:
March 22 2016
Interpretación de resultados de tamaño de partícula por la técnica de difracción laser
Webinar - Recorded
Difracción láser es una técnica ampliamente utilizada para la medición de tamaño de partícula en materiales que varían entre cientos de nanómetros hasta varios milímetros en tamaño. Es una de las tecnologías más fáciles de entender y obtener resulta...
- Mastersizer range
- Date recorded:
March 9 2016