The Mastersizer 3000 is the latest generation of the world’s most popular particle sizing instrument. Incorporating expert engineering and applications know-how into every stage of its design, it delivers:
- Class-leading particle sizing performance in a compact footprint.
- Intuitive software with built-in expertise to ease your workload.
- Flexible reporting to display your data the way you want it.
- Rapid and effective wet dispersion.
- Fast, reliable particle size measurement of fragile and cohesive dry powders.
- Mastersizer know-how throughout, for results you can rely on.
How it works
The Mastersizer 3000 uses the technique of laser diffraction to measure the size of particles. It does this by measuring the intensity of light scattered as a laser beam passes through a dispersed particulate sample. This data is then analyzed to calculate the size of the particles that created the scattering pattern.
A typical system is made up of three main elements:
- Optical bench - A dispersed sample passes though the measurement area of the optical bench, where a laser beam illuminates the particles. A series of detectors then accurately measure the intensity of light scattered by the particles within the sample for both red and blue light wavelengths and over a wide range of angles.
- Sample dispersion units (accessories). Sample dispersion is controlled by a range of wet and dry dispersion units. These ensure the particles are delivered to the measurement area of the optical bench at the correct concentration and in a suitable, stable state of dispersion.
- Instrument software. The Mastersizer 3000 software controls the system during the measurement process and analyzes the scattering data to calculate a particle size distribution. It also provides both instant feedback during method development and expert advice on the quality of the results.
- Particle size:
- Suspensions, emulsions, dry powders
- Laser light scattering
- Mie and Fraunhofer scattering
- Data acquisition rate:
- 10 kHz
- Typical measurement time:
- <10 sec
- Dimensions (W, D, H):
- 690mm x 300mm x 450mm
- 30 kg
- Red light source:
- Max. 4mW He-Ne, 632.8nm
- Blue light source:
- Max. 10mW LED, 470nm
- Lens arrangement:
- Reverse Fourier (convergent beam)
- Effective focal length:
- Log-spaced array
- Angular range:
- 0.015 - 144 degrees
- Particle size:
- 0.01 - 3500 µm *
- Number of size classes:
- 100 (user adjustable)
- Better than 1% **
- Precision / Repeatability:
- Better than 0.5% variation *
- Better than 1% variation *
- 21 CFR part 11:
- Enables an operating mode that assists with ER/ES compliance
- Laser safety:
- Class 1, IEC60825-1:2007 and
CFR Chapter I: Sub-chapterJ: Part 1040 (CDRH)
- Regulatory testing:
- RoHS and WEEE compliant
CE / FCC compliant
Meets requirements of the European Low Voltage directive
- 100/240 v, 50/60 Hz
50W (no dispersion units connected)
200W maximum (2 dispersion units connected)
- 80% maximum for temperatures up to 31°C,
decreasing linearly to 50% at 40°C. Non condensing.
- Operating temperature (°C):
- +5°C to +40°C
- Product storage temperature:
- -20°C to +50°C
- Ingress Protection (IP) rating:
- Sample and sample preparation dependent.
- Accuracy defined for the recovery of the mean size of a narrow log-normal distribution. Sample and sample preparation dependant.
- The Mastersizer 3000 optical bench is protected by patents; US6,778,271 and related filings; GB2,340,932; together with patents based on applications WO2013038161, WO2013038160 and WO2013038159.
Hydro MV and LV protected by EP1167946A2 and related filings.
Latest software update
Wet sample dispersion accessories
See your dispersion
The Hydro Sight™ is a revolutionary accessory for the Mastersizer range of instruments providing rapid visualization and assessment of your liquid particle dispersion during a measurement.
Small volume wet sample dispersion
The Hydro SV is a simple, cost effective liquid dispersion unit designed to enable particle size analysis using small volumes of sample and dispersant.
Medium volume automated dispersion unit.
The Hydro MV is medium volume unit for the controlled, automated wet dispersion of samples for particle size analysis. Suitable for both aqueous and non-aqueous applications, it is especially useful when sample size is limited and/or dispersant use must be minimized.
Large volume wet sample dispersion.
The Hydro LV is an automated large volume unit that controls wet dispersion of materials for particle size analysis. It is especially suitable for applications where the sample size is relatively large or the size distribution is very broad.
Flexible volume wet dispersion
A unique dip-in wet sample dispersion unit that can be used with standard laboratory glassware. Suitable for a wide variety of dispersant volumes and particle size ranges.
Small volume entry level wet dispersion unit
The Hydro SM is a cost effective wet sample dispersion unit designed for measuring samples in non-aqueous dispersants where solvent usage needs to be minimized.
Dry sample dispersion accessories
State-of-the-art dry powder dispersion
Setting new standards for dry powder dispersion, the Aero S has been designed from the ground up based upon fundamental powder dispersion theory. The modular design ensures rapid and reproducible dispersion of the widest range of samples from cohesive powders to fragile materials.
When you purchase a Malvern product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Some customers just need to ask an occasional question or to download a software upgrade, whilst others require a comprehensive support contract with priority call out and fixed cost of ownership. Whatever your situation Malvern will provide the right support for you.
- Telephone and email support.
- Operators who take responsibility for your call and ensure your query is answered.
- Classroom training
- Application notes
- Technical notes
- On demand presentations
- Live webinars
- A simple mechanism for receiving updates and new features
Platinum and Gold Service Contracts
- Protection from the cost of downtime
- No time lost in obtaining help when you need it
- Fixed cost of ownership
Bronze Service Agreements
- Protect the value of your investment
- Reduce the risk of downtime
- Protect the validity of your data