The Morphologi G3-ID offers a unique capability, combining the automated static imaging features of the Morphologi G3 with chemical identification of individual particles using Morphologically-Directed Raman Spectroscopy to enable the measurement of component-specific particle size and particle shape distributions.
This fully automated instrument is designed to allow both particle characterization scientists with limited spectroscopy experience and more experienced spectroscopists to get an in-depth understanding of their particulate samples.
Key features include:
- Measures particle size, shape and chemical identity in one platform.
- Automates Morphologi G3 with Kaiser Optical Systems RamanRxn1™ spectrometer.
- Integrated dry powder dispersion with accurate dispersion energy control automates sample preparation for consistent measurements of both fragile and robust materials.
- Versatile sample presentation accessories for measuring suspended and filtered samples.
- Simple SOP operation from sample dispersion through to size, shape and chemical analysis.
- Automatic selection, targeting and chemical classification of thousands of individual particles.
- Export function for third party forensic library investigations.
- Direct Raman spectrum export to (Bio-Rad) KnowItAll® ID Expert software for spectral library search.
- Single point manual targeting mode for manual selection of particles for chemical analysis.
- Powerful and intuitive software interface making both visual and statistical interpretation of your data easier than ever.
How it works
The Morphologi G3-ID is ideally suited to solving complex particle characterization problems where component-specific particle size and shape distributions are required. This includes measurement of components within powder blends and suspensions, along with the identification of contaminant or suspicious particles within product formulations.
The measurement workflow can be divided into three distinct steps, each of which can be automated:
- Sample preparation
This step is critical to getting good results; spatial separation of individual particles and agglomerates is the goal. The Morphologi G3-ID has an integrated dry powder disperser which makes preparing dry powder samples easy and reproducible. The applied dispersion energy can be precisely controlled, enabling the measurement process to be optimized for a range of material types. Dispersion is achieved without explosively shocking the particles, avoiding the damage of fragile particles while ensuring strongly agglomerated materials are dispersed. Effective dispersion of fibers can also be achieved. Accessories for presenting suspended or filtered samples that fit directly into the Morphologi G3-ID’s automated stage are also available.
- Particle size and shape measurement
The instrument automatically measures the size and shape of particles in a dispersed sample in exactly the same manner as the Morphologi G3. This ensures there is no compromise on the reliability of the particle size and shape data, which is not the case with many chemical mapping and imaging techniques.
- Chemical identification
The instrument automatically finds particles of interest for chemical identification based on pre-defined classification rules. A Raman spectrum is acquired from the center of mass of each particle. Chemical identification is then achieved based upon established spectroscopic algorithms incorporated within the Morphologi G3-ID software. This allows enumeration of defined classes of particles as well as the reporting of component-specific particle size and shape distributions. Spectra of unknown particles can be directly exported to Bio-Rad’s KnowItAll® ID Expert software for comparison against its Raman library containing over 13,000 spectra.
- Static automated imaging combined with Raman spectroscopy
- Morphological analysis:
- Static automated imaging
- Particle size:
- 1 µm – 1000 µm*
- Particle properties measured:
- Size, shape, transparency, count, location, chemical identification
- Particle size parameters:
- Circle equivalent (CE) diameter, length, width, perimeter, area, maximum distance, sphere equivalent (SE) volume, fiber total length, and fiber width
- Particle shape parameters:
- Aspect ratio, circularity, convexity, elongation, high sensitivity (HS) circularity, solidity fiber elongation, fiber straightness
- Particle transparency parameters:
- Intensity mean, intensity standard deviation
- Dispersion mechanism:
- Sample entrainment, leading to particle shear and particle impaction
- Dispersion pressure range:
- 0.5 bar – 5 bar
- Dispersion pressure precision:
- 0.1 bar increments
- Injection time range:
- 5 msec - 100 msec
- Sample Settling time:
- 1 s - 600 s
- Sample presentation options:
4-slide holder for standard microscope slides
2-slide holder for large microscope slides
25 mm and 47 mm dia. holders for membrane filters
Thin-path wet cell for low volume particle suspensions
- Light source:
- White light, brightfield diascopic and episcopic
- 5M pixel 2592 x 1944 color CCD array
- Pixel width:
- 2.78 µm x 2.78 µm
- Optical system:
- Nikon CFI 60 brightfield/darkfield system
- 2.5x, 5x, 10x, 20x, 50x
- Particle size:
[For fully automated Chemical ID measurements (see Morphologi G3 product page for standard particle size specification)]
2.5x: 100 µm – 1000 µm (nominal)
5x: 25 µm – 420 µm (nominal)
10x: 20 µm – 210 µm (nominal)
20x: 20 µm – 100 µm (nominal)
50x: 1 µm – 40 µm (nominal)
- Chemical analysis:
- Raman spectroscopy
- Raman spectrometer:
- Kaiser Optical Systems Inc. RamanRxn1
- Spectral performance:
- 150 cm-1 to 1850 cm-1, 6 cm-1 resolution
- 785 nm
- <500 mW (spectrometer)
- > 10 mW nominal (at sample)
- Laser spot size:
- 3 µm at 50x magnification
- Laser safety:
- Class 3B
- Chemical identification method:
- Spectral correlation
- The Morphologi G3-ID and Morphologi G3-ID are protected by copyright and design rights, together with patents based on EP2106536A1 and US8111395B2
Weight and dimensions:
- Dimensions (W, D, H):
- Main instrument: 440 mm x 760 mm x 750 mm
- Dimensions (W, D, H):
- Spectrometer: 584 mm x 448 mm x 203 mm
- Main instrument: 80 kg approx
- Spectrometer: 27.7 kg
- 100 V - 240 V ac 50/60 Hz 6.0 A
- Operating temperature (°C):
- +15°C to +30°C
- Storage temperature:
- -15°C to +30°C
- 0%–95%, non-condensing
- Sample and substrate dependent. Instrument can also be used as a Morphologi G3. See Morphologi G3 page for details on performance capabilities
The characterization of particles in suspension is a subject of interest for a variety of applications. For example, in pharmaceutical products the presence of inherent, extrinsic or intrinsic particles may affect the efficacy or possibly the safety of the drug. In the automotive industry, the presence of particulate contamination in hydraulic fluid power systems interferes with lubrication and causes wear to components. Many standards specify microscopy analysis for the enumeration of foreign particles in suspensions, and define particulate count limits for a given volume of sample.
Malvern’s range of sample presentation accessories for the Morphologi G3-ID expands the capabilities of this system beyond the characterization of dry sample dispersions. Each accessory fits directly into the Morphologi G3-ID’s automated stage and is easily selectable in the software. KnowItAll® ID Expert software works alongside Morphologi G3-ID software to provide effective support for chemical identification.
Accessories to use when analyzing particles in suspension
Thin-path wet cell
The thin-path wet cell is designed for both morphological and chemical characterization of up to 100 μL of sample. It is ideal for applications such as the identification of subvisible particles in therapeutics (described by guidance in USP <787> and USP <788>), especially when a traditional membrane filtering approach may risk changing particles of interest, such as protein aggregates.
2-slide and 4-slide holders
‘Sandwiching’ a few μL of a suspension of smaller particles between a microscope slide and a cover slip is a traditional method of sample preparation for microscopy. Samples are presented in this form to the Morphologi G3-ID using either the 2-slide or 4-slide holder. Slides suitable for chemical identification applications are available.
Visit store to buy now
Accessories to use when analyzing particles captured on a membrane filter
25 mm and 47 mm diameter filter holders
Methods which are used to detect and characterize particles in suspension often rely on filtering the sample in order to capture particles on a membrane filter. Dedicated filter holders (25 mm or 47 mm diameter) and also the 2-slide holder (see above) allow samples on filter membranes to be presented directly to the Morphologi G3-ID for analysis.
Visit store to buy now
Protect your investment and ensure optimized performance at all times with Malvern’s service plans.
When you purchase a Malvern product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Depending on your needs, Malvern will provide the support for your business.
Malvern’s service options- choose the right plan for you:
Malvern Platinum Plan
For laboratories where maximizing instrument up-time is critical to its daily performance. Our highest level of response and the 'all inclusive' price plan takes care of those unexpected repair bills should the unfortunate occur.
Malvern Gold Plan
Enhance your laboratory productivity by maintaining instrument efficiency. Still receive that priority response, combined with specialist technical and software support, we'll keep your instrument performance on track to deliver.
Malvern Bronze Visit
For laboratories looking to optimize instrument performance, regular preventative maintenance is essential.
|Platinum Plan||Gold Plan||Bronze Visit|
|Annual PM/PV Test|
|Telephone / Email Support|
|Emergency Breakdown visits*|
|Technical & Software Support|
*including labour & travel costs***available at an additional cost
Particle Characterization for Oral Solid Dose Formulations
Webinar - Live
The particle size and size distribution of the Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) and excipients present in Oral Solid Dose (OSD) products are often critical to defining product performance. This is recognized by ICH Q6A, which recommends that ...
- Mastersizer range,Morphologi range
February 9 2016
Morphologi G3 accessories manual (English)
User manual for the accessories used with the Morphologi G3 instrument. This manual includes information on the carrier holder, wet cell, sample plates and other associated accessories
Particles unmasked: “What is it, and where did it come from?”
Webinar - Recorded
These are questions which are often asked about unknown particles in a variety of sample types, such as when developing (bio)pharmaceutical products, or as part of forensic investigations. This short web seminar will introduce you to new ways of usin...
- Morphologi range
- Date recorded:
October 20 2015
Improved approaches for particulate characterization in biotherapeutics
Webinar - Recorded
Product quality and safety concerns have driven the enumeration of particulate species in injectable products. Guidelines, such as USP<787>, <788>, and <790>, describe methods for collecting accurate particle count and size data in...
- Morphologi range
- Date recorded:
July 30 2015