This fully automated instrument is designed to allow both particle characterization scientists with limited spectroscopy experience and more experienced spectroscopists to get an in-depth understanding of their particulate samples. Key features:
- Measures particle size, shape and chemical identity in one platform.
- Automates Morphologi G3 with Kaiser Optical Systems RamanRxn1 spectrometer.
- Integrated dry powder dispersion with accurate dispersion energy control automates sample preparation for consistent measurements of both fragile and robust materials.
- Simple SOP operation from sample dispersion through to size, shape and chemical analysis.
- Automatic selection, targeting and chemical classification of 1000’s of individual particles.
- Export function for third party forensic library investigations.
- Single point manual targeting mode for manual selection of particles for chemical analysis.
- Powerful and intuitive software interface making both visual and statistical interpretation of your data easier than ever.
How it works
The Morphologi G3-ID is ideally suited to solving complex particle characterization problems where component-specific particle size and shape distributions are required. This includes measurement of components within powder blends and suspensions, along with the identification of contaminant or suspicious particles within product formulations.
The measurement workflow can be divided into three distinct steps, each of which can be automated:
This step is critical to getting good results; spatial separation of individual particles and agglomerates is the goal. The Morphologi G3SE has an integrated dry powder disperser which makes preparing dry powder samples easy and reproducible. The applied dispersion energy can be precisely controlled, enabling the measurement process to be optimised for a range of material types. Dispersion is achieved without explosively shocking the particles, avoiding the damage of fragile particles while ensuring strongly agglomerated materials are dispersed. Effective dispersion of fibres can also be achieved.
Particle size and shape measurement
The instrument automatically measures the size and shape of particles in a dispersed sample in exactly the same manner as the Morphologi G3. This ensures there is no compromise on the reliability of the particle size and shape data, which is not the case with many chemical mapping and imaging techniques.
The instrument automatically finds particles of interest for chemical identification based on pre-defined classification rules. A Raman spectrum is acquired from the center of mass of each particle. Chemical identification is then achieved based upon established spectroscopic algorithms incorporated within the Morphologi G3-ID software. This allows enumeration of defined classes of particles as well as the reporting of component specific particle size and shape distributions.
- Static automated imaging combined with Raman spectroscopy.
- Morphological analysis:
- Static automated imaging.
- Particle size:
- 1 µm – 1000 µm*.
- Particle properties measured:
- Size, shape, transparency, count, location, chemical identification.
- Particle size parameters:
- Circle equivalent (CE) diameter, length, width, perimeter, area, maximum distance, sphere equivalent (SE) volume, fiber total length, and fiber width.
- Particle shape parameters:
- Aspect ratio, circularity, convexity, elongation, high sensitivity (HS) circularity, solidity fiber elongation, fiber straightness
- Particle transparency parameters:
- Intensity mean, intensity standard deviation.
Sample dispersion (Morphologi G3SE-ID only)
- Integrated Sample Dispersion Unit option (Morphologi G3SE only):
- Dispersion mechanism:
- Sample entrainment, leading to particle shear and particle impaction.
- Dispersion pressure range:
- 0.5 – 5 bar.
- Dispersion pressure precision:
- 0.1 bar increments.
- Injection time range:
- 5 - 100 msec
- Sample Settling time:
- 1-600 sec.
- Light source:
- White light, brightfield diascopic and episcopic.
- 5M pixel 2592 x 1944 color CCD array.
- Pixel width:
- 2.78 mm x 2.78 mm.
- Optical system:
- Nikon CFI 60 brightfield/darkfield system.
- 2.5x, 5x, 10x, 20x, 50x
- Particle size:
- 100-1000µm, 25-420µm, 20-210µm, 20-100µm, 1-40µm,
- Chemical analysis:
- Raman spectroscopy.
- Raman spectrometer:
- Kaiser optical systems Inc. RamanRxn1.
- Spectral performance:
- 150 cm-1 to 1850 cm-1, 4 cm-1 resolution
- <500 mW (Spectrometer).
- > 10 mW nominal (at sample).
- Laser spot size:
- 3 µm at 50x magnification.
- Laser safety:
- Class 3B.
- Chemical identification method:
- Spectral correlation.
- The Morphologi G3-ID and Morphologi G3SE-ID are protected by copyright and design rights, together with patents based on EP2106536A1 and US8111395B2.
Weight and dimensions:
- Dimensions (W, D, H):
- Main instrument: 440mm x 760mm x 750mm
- Dimensions (W, D, H):
- Spectrometer: 584mm x 448mm x 203mm
- Main instrument: 80 kg approx.
- Spectrometer: 27.7 kg
- 100-240 V ac 50/60 Hz 6.0 A
- Operating temperature (°C):
- +15 to +30°C
- Storage temperature:
- -15 to +30°C
- 0–95%, non-condensing
- Sample and substrate dependent. Instrument can also be used as a Morphologi G3. See Morphologi G3 page for details on performance capabilities.
When you purchase a Malvern product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Some customers just need to ask an occasional question or to download a software upgrade, whilst others require a comprehensive support contract with priority call out and fixed cost of ownership. Whatever your situation Malvern will provide the right support for you.
- Telephone and email support.
- Operators who take responsibility for your call and ensure your query is answered.
- On Site training courses
- Classroom training
- Application notes
- Technical notes
- On demand presentations
- Live webinars
- A simple mechanism for receiving updates and new features
Platinum and Gold Service Contracts
- Protection from the cost of downtime
- No time lost in obtaining help when you need it
- Fixed cost of ownership
Bronze Service Agreements
- Protect the value of your investment
- Reduce the risk of downtime
- Protect the validity of your data