Incorporating over 35 years of experience in spray applications, the Malvern Spraytec provides the data required to fully understand spray and atomization processes. It will:
- Measurement across a wide size range (0.1 – 2000 microns) without requiring constant optics changes.
- Resolve rapid changes in droplet size over time, by measuring up to 10,000 measurements a second.
- Deliver accurate, concentration-independent results using a patented multiple scattering analysis.
- Characterize wide spray plumes without risking optical contamination.
- Simply reveal the dynamic changes in spray particle size through its unique size history analysis software.
How it works
The Malvern Spraytec uses the technique of laser diffraction for measurement of the size of spray droplets and spray particles. It does this by measuring the intensity of light scattered as a laser beam passes through a spray. This data is then analyzed to calculate the size of the droplets that created the scattering pattern.
The Spraytec system is made up of the following main elements:
- A transmitter module which contains the collimated laser light source used to illuminate the spray during a measurement.
- A receiver module which can hold one of two lenses (300mm or 750mm) which focus any light scattered by the spray onto a series of detectors. These detectors accurately measure the intensity of light scattered by the spray droplets over a wide range of angles.
- An optical bench which ensures the transmitter and receiver are aligned. The length of this can be changed in order to fit with different applications, with the longest bench being 2.5m long.
- The Spraytec software which controls the system during the measurement process and analyzes the scattering data to calculate spray size distributions. The results are displayed as a ‘size history’ trend plot, allowing any changes in the droplet size over time to be instantly recognized.
- Laser Light Scattering.
- Mie and Fraunhofer scattering including a patented multiple scattering analysis.
- Data acquisition rate:
- Rapid mode: 10kHz.
Continuous mode: 1Hz.
- Maximum Measurement Time:
- Rapid mode: 30 seconds.
Continuous mode: 60 minutes.
- Measurement Triggering:
- Internal: Based on transmission or light scattering levels.
External: Based on TTL input or simple switch trigger.
- External Device Synchronization:
- Via 2 TTL trigger outputs.
- Light source:
- Max 4mW He-Ne Laser, 632.8nm.
- Lens arrangement:
- Fourier (parallel beam).
- Lens Focal Length:
- 300mm and 750mm.
- Measurement range:
- 150mm at 0.5 µm, extending to greater than 1m above 5 µm.
- 36 element log-spaced array.
- Angular range:
- 0.015 – 17 degrees.**
- Particle size:
- 300mm lens: 0.1 – 900 µm (Dv50: 0.5 – 600 µm).
750mm lens: 2 – 2000 µm (Dv50: 5 – 1600 µm).
- Better than 1%.***
- Better than 1%.***
- Better than 1%.***
- 21 CFR part 11:
- Enables an operating mode that assists with ER/ES compliance.
- Laser safety:
- Class 3R, IEC60825-1:2007 and CFR Chapter 1: Sub-chapter J: Part 1040 (CDRH).
- Regulatory testing:
- CE / FCC compliant.
Meets requirements of the European Low Voltage directive.
Weight and dimensions
- Laboratory systems:
- 950mm optical bench: 950mmx550mmx610mm (36kg).
1400mm optical bench: 37kg 1400x550x610 (37kg).
- Spray Facility Systems:
- 950mm optical bench: 950mmx550mmx650mm (36kg).
1400mm optical bench: 1400x550x650 (37kg).
- 100/240 v, 50/60 Hz.
- Product storage temperature:
- -20°C to +50°C.
- Operating temperature (°C):
- +15°C to +40°C.
- 80% maximum for temperatures up to 31°C, decreasing linearly to 50% at 40 °C. Non-condensing.
- Ingress Protection (IP) rating:
- IP65 when in normal use
- This defines the maximum allowable distance between the far edge of the spray plume and the Spraytec receiver lens.
- Lens dependent.
- Relates to the measurement of the Dv50 for NIST-traceable latex standards. Sample dependent.
Latest software update
Aerosol Positioning Accessory
Aerosol Positioning Accessory
The Malvern Spraytec aerosol positioning accessory enables users to reproducibly position aerosol cans or pump sprays relative to the Spraytec laser diffraction measurement zone during spray droplet and particle size measurements.
This helps to eliminate a significant source of variability associated with spray measurements, enabling the reproducible testing of domestic and personal aerosol products.
Air Purge Accessory
Prevent optics contamination during spray droplet particle size measurements
The Air Purge Accessory prevents deposition of spray droplets on the Spraytec optics during the measurement of wide or concentrated spray plumes. This enables the routine characterization of products such as paint sprays or agrochemical application systems.
Safe capture and handling of aerosol and sprays.
The Spraytec Extraction Accessory provides a means of collecting and capturing spray droplets and particles during spray particle size measurements. This ensures that spray particle recirculation is reduced during measurements, and also helps manage the risks associated with user exposure to spray droplets.
Inhaler and Nebulizer Accessory
Inhaler and nebulizer characterization.
The Spraytec Inhaler and Nebulizer Accessory provides users with the ability to reproducibly measure the droplet or dry powder particle size distributions produced by metered dose inhalers, dry powder inhalers and nebulizers. Formulations can be rapidly screened for the correct dispersion properties, providing researchers with the detailed information required to develop new inhaled drug delivery products.
Nasal Spray Accessory
Nasal Pump Spray Analysis.
The Nasal Spray Accessory provides users with the ability to reproducibly measure the droplet or particle size distributions produced by nasal drug delivery devices, as part of bioequivalence studies or production quality control. Studies can also be carried out to determine how changes to the nasal spray device, formulation or device actuation profile can affect the delivered spray particle size.
Wet Dispersion Accessory
The Spraytec Wet Dispersion Accessory is a cost effective wet sample dispersion unit designed for measuring samples in non-aqueous dispersants where solvent usage needs to be minimized.
When you purchase a Malvern product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Some customers just need to ask an occasional question or to download a software upgrade, whilst others require a comprehensive support contract with priority call out and fixed cost of ownership. Whatever your situation Malvern will provide the right support for you.
- Telephone and email support.
- Operators who take responsibility for your call and ensure your query is answered.
- Classroom training
- Application notes
- Technical notes
- On demand presentations
- Live webinars
- A simple mechanism for receiving updates and new features
Platinum and Gold Service Contracts
- Protection from the cost of downtime
- No time lost in obtaining help when you need it
- Fixed cost of ownership
Bronze Service Agreements
- Protect the value of your investment
- Reduce the risk of downtime
- Protect the validity of your data