Particle size distribution
Particle size distributions from sub-nanometer to millimeters.
By far the most important physical property of particulate samples is particle size. Measurement of particle size distributions is routinely carried out across a wide range of industries and is often a critical parameter in the manufacture of many products. The particle size distribution has a direct influence on material properties such as:
- Reactivity or dissolution rate - e.g. catalysts, tablets.
- Stability in suspension – e.g. sediments, paints.
- Efficacy of delivery – e.g. asthma inhalers.
- Texture and feel – e.g. food ingredients.
- Appearance – e.g. powder coatings and inks.
- Flowability and handling – e.g. granules.
- Viscosity – e.g. nasal sprays.
- Packing density and porosity – e.g. ceramics.
Measuring particle size distributions and understanding how they affect your products and processes can be critical to the success of many manufacturing businesses. Malvern Instruments offers leading instrumentation for all types of particle size analysis and characterization from sub-nanometer to millimeters in particle size.