Smarter particle sizing
The Mastersizer 3000 laser diffraction particle size analyzer delivers rapid, accurate particle size distributions for both wet and dry dispersions with the minimum of effort. Measuring over the nanometer to millimeter particle size ranges, it packs exceptional performance into the smallest of footprints, bringing operator-independent measurements that every user can rely on.
The Mastersizer 3000 is the latest generation of the world’s most popular particle sizing instrument. Incorporating expert engineering and applications know-how into every stage of its design, it delivers:
- Class-leading particle sizing performance in a compact footprint.
- Intuitive software with built-in expertise to ease your workload.
- Flexible reporting to display your data the way you want it.
- Rapid and effective wet dispersion.
- Fast, reliable particle size measurement of fragile and cohesive dry powders.
- Mastersizer know-how throughout, for results you can rely on.
How it works
The Mastersizer 3000 uses the technique of laser diffraction to measure the size of particles. It does this by measuring the intensity of light scattered as a laser beam passes through a dispersed particulate sample. This data is then analyzed to calculate the size of the particles that created the scattering pattern.
A typical system is made up of three main elements:
- Optical bench - A dispersed sample passes though the measurement area of the optical bench, where a laser beam illuminates the particles. A series of detectors then accurately measure the intensity of light scattered by the particles within the sample for both red and blue light wavelengths and over a wide range of angles.
- Sample dispersion units (accessories). Sample dispersion is controlled by a range of wet and dry dispersion units. These ensure the particles are delivered to the measurement area of the optical bench at the correct concentration and in a suitable, stable state of dispersion.
- Instrument software. The Mastersizer 3000 software controls the system during the measurement process and analyzes the scattering data to calculate a particle size distribution. It also provides both instant feedback during method development and expert advice on the quality of the results.
- Particle size distribution
- Suspensions, emulsions, dry powders
- Laser light scattering
- Mie and Fraunhofer scattering
- Data acquisition rate
- 10 kHz
- Typical measurement time
- <10 sec
- Red light source
- Max. 4mW He-Ne, 632.8nm
- Blue light source
- Max. 10mW LED, 470nm
- Lens arrangement
- Reverse Fourier (convergent beam)
- Effective focal length
- Log-spaced array
- Angular range
- 0.015 - 144 degrees
- Size range
- 0.01 - 3500 µm *
- Number of size classes
- 100 (user adjustable)
- Better than 1% **
- Better than 0.5% variation *
- Better than 1% variation *
- 21 CFR part 11
- Enables an operating mode that assists
with ER/ES compliance
- Laser class
- Class 1, IEC60825-1:2007 and
CFR Chapter I: Sub-chapterJ: Part 1040 (CDRH)
- Regulatory testing
- RoHS and WEEE compliant
- CE / FCC compliant
- Meets requirements of the European Low Voltage directive
Weight and dimensions:
- 690mm x 300mm x 450mm (LxWxH)
- 30 kg
- Supply voltage
- 100/240 v, 50/60 Hz
- Power consumption
- 50W (no dispersion units connected)
200W maximum (2 dispersion units connected)
- Product storage temperature
- -20°C to +50°C
- Operational temperature range
- +5°C to +40°C
- Humidity Range
- 80% maximum for temperatures up to 31°C,
decreasing linearly to 50% at 40°C. Non condensing.
- Ingress Protection (IP) Rating
Computer specification (recommended)
- Computer interface
- At least 1 high speed USB port required
- Operating system
- Windows 7 professional (32 bit and 64 bit)
- Hardware specification
- Intel Core i5 Processor, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD,
CD-ROM or DVD +/-RW drive, Wide Screen Monitor.
- Sample and sample preparation dependent.
- Accuracy defined for the recovery of the mean size
of a narrow log-normal distribution. Sample and
sample preparation dependant.
- The Mastersizer 3000 optical bench is protected by patents; US6,778,271 and related filings; GB2,340,932; together with patents based on applications WO2013038161, WO2013038160 and WO2013038159.
Hydro MV and LV protected by EP1167946A2 and related filings.
Sample dispersion accessories for the Mastersizer 3000
Wet sample dispersion accessories
Dry sample dispersion accessories
When you purchase a Malvern product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Some customers just need to ask an occasional question or to download a software upgrade, whilst others require a comprehensive support contract with priority call out and fixed cost of ownership. Whatever your situation Malvern will provide the right support for you.
- Telephone and email support.
- Operators who take responsibility for your call and ensure your query is answered.
- On Site training courses
- Classroom training
- Application notes
- Technical notes
- On demand presentations
- Live webinars
- A simple mechanism for receiving updates and new features
- Protection from the cost of downtime
- No time lost in obtaining help when you need it
- Fixed cost of ownership
- Protect the value of your investment
- Reduce the risk of downtime
- Protect the validity of your data
Malvern solutions for the Mastersizer 3000
Access application notes, webinars, videos and more.Register now
The benefits of using the Mastersizer 3000 have exceeded our expectations and have helped us to achieve our goals in creating precise, stable particle size distributions across all of our product lines"
- Chad Goodwin, EnerG2