Advanced particle characterization made easy
The Morphologi G3 provides an advanced yet easy to use particle characterization tool for the measurement of particle size and particle shape from 0.5 microns to several millimeters. In one instrument it offers the flexibility required for R&D and troubleshooting applications, and user-independent results and the validation required for automated QC analysis. The technique is often used in conjunction with laser diffraction particle sizing, to gain a deeper understanding of product or process behavior.
The Morphologi G3 measures the size and shape of particles using the technique of static image analysis. Fully automated and with integrated dry sample preparation makes it the ideal replacement for costly and time-consuming manual microscopy measurements.
- Automated SOP control for unattended operation and reproducible results boosting productivity
- Excellent quality microscope images ensuring accurate characterization
- Integrated dry powder dispersion with accurate pressure control automates sample preparation for consistent measurements
- Advanced manual microscope control mode providing increased value as a shared laboratory resource
- Rapid automatic particle counting on membrane filters
- Powerful and intuitive software interface making both visual and statistical interpretation of your data easier than ever.
How it works
The Morphologi G3 measures the size and shape of particles by the technique of static image analysis. There are three essential stages in the measurement process;
- Sample preparation and dispersion
This step is critical to getting good results; spatial separation of individual particles and agglomerates is the goal. The Morphologi G3 has an integrated dry powder disperser which makes preparing dry powder samples easy and reproducible. A range of accessories is also available for preparing samples in wet suspensions or on membrane filters.
- Image capture
The instrument captures images of individual particles by scanning the sample underneath the microscope optics, while keeping the particles in focus. The Morphologi G3 can illuminate the sample from below or above, while accurately controlling the light levels. Polarizing optics can be used to study birefringent materials.
- Data analysis
The instrument measures a range of morphological properties for each particle. Advanced graphing and data classification options in the software ensure that extracting the relevant data from your measurement is as straightforward as possible, via an intuitive visual interface. Individually stored grayscale images for each particle provide qualitative verification of the quantitative results.
- Static automated imaging
- Particle size range:
- 0.5 µm – 1000 µm*
(upper limit may be extended up to 10mm for some applications*)
- Particle properties measured:
- Size, shape, transparency, count, location,
- Particle size parameters:
- Circle equivalent (CE) diameter, length, width, perimeter, area, max distance, sphere equivalent (SE) volume, fiber total length, fiber width
- Particle shape parameters:
- Aspect ratio, circularity, convexity, elongation, high sensitivity (HS) circularity, solidity fiber elongation, fiber straightness
- Particle transparency parameters:
- Intensity mean, intensity standard deviation
- Integrated sample dispersion unit option (Morphologi G3S only):
- For fully automated dispersion and measurement of dry powders. Manual or SOP control of dispersion pressure, injection time and settling time.
- Sample presentation options:
- 4 slide holder for standard microscope slides
2 slide holder for large microscope slides
Large glass plate for integrated dry powder dispersion option
Wet cell for large particles in suspension
25mm and 47mm dia. holders for membrane filters
- White light, brightfield diascopic and episcopic, darkfield episcopic
Polarizer/analyser and DIC contrast enhancement options
- 5M pixel 2592 x 1944 colour CCD array
pixel size 2.78 mm x 2.78 mm
- Optical system:
- Nikon CFI 60 brightfield/darkfield system
|Particle size range in µm (nominal)||13-1000||6.5-420||3.5-210||1.75-100||0.5-40|
- 440 mm (W) x 760 mm (D) x 700 mm (H)
- 80 kg approx.
- Power requirements:
- 100-240 V ac 50/60 Hz 5.0 A
- Operating temperature:
- +10 to +40°C (+50 to 95°F)
- Storage temperature:
- -20 to +50°C (-104 to +122°F)
- Humidity range:
- 0–95%, non-condensing
- CE, LVD, VCCI, C-Tick, FCC
- *Sample and sample substrate dependent
- The Morphologi product range is protected by copyright and design rights, together with patents based on PCT/GB2008/001702 and PCT/US2008/000155.
When you purchase a Malvern product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Some customers just need to ask an occasional question or to download a software upgrade, whilst others require a comprehensive support contract with priority call out and fixed cost of ownership. Whatever your situation Malvern will provide the right support for you.
- Telephone and email support.
- Operators who take responsibility for your call and ensure your query is answered.
- On Site training courses
- Classroom training
- Application notes
- Technical notes
- On demand presentations
- Live webinars
- A simple mechanism for receiving updates and new features
- Protection from the cost of downtime
- No time lost in obtaining help when you need it
- Fixed cost of ownership
- Protect the value of your investment
- Reduce the risk of downtime
- Protect the validity of your data