Automated measurement of particle size, particle shape and chemical identity.
The Morphologi G3-ID provides a unique capability, combining automated static imaging features of the Morphologi G3 with chemical identification of individual particles using Raman spectroscopy.
This fully automated instrument is designed to allow both particle characterization scientists with limited spectroscopy experience and more experienced spectroscopists to get an in-depth understanding of their particulate samples. Key features:
- Measures particle size, particle shape and chemical identity in one platform.
- Automates Morphologi G3 with Kaiser Optical Systems Inc. RamanRxn1 spectrometer.
- Integrated dry powder dispersion with accurate dispersion energy control automates sample preparation for repeatable and reproducible measurements of both fragile and robust materials.
- Simple SOP operation from sample dispersion through to size, shape and chemical analysis.
- Automatic selection, targeting and chemical classification of 1000’s of individual particles.
- Export function for third party forensic library investigations.
- Single point manual targeting mode for manual selection of particles for chemical analysis.
- Powerful and intuitive software interface making both visual and statistical interpretation of your data easier than ever.
How it works
The Morphologi G3-ID is ideally suited to solving complex particle characterization problems where particle size and shape do not provide sufficient information. Typical examples include:
- Measuring the size and or shape of particulates of a specific chemical species in a mixture such as a powder blend or suspension. e.g. nasal sprays and asthma inhalers.
- Providing chemical identification capability of contaminant or suspicious particles in a blend, suspension or collected on a filter membrane. e.g. parenteral and injectable medicines.
The measurement workflow can be divided into three distinct steps, each of which can be automated via SOPs:
The Morphologi G3-ID can accept most of the same sample types measurable on the Morphologi G3. Sample substrates that are suitable for Raman chemical analysis are provided for material prepared on microscope slides, including suspensions, and for the automated dry powder dispersion option. Particulate samples collected on filter membranes can also be measured provided that the filter material is appropriate for Raman analysis.
Particle size and shape
The instrument automatically measures the size and shape of particles in a dispersed sample in exactly the same manner as the Morphologi G3. This ensures there is no compromise on the reliability of the particle size and shape data, which is not the case with many chemical mapping and imaging techniques.
The instrument will automatically find the selected particles and collect a Raman spectrum from the center of each one. Chemical identification of individual particles based upon established spectroscopic algorithms is incorporated in the MorphologiG3-ID software. This allows enumeration of defined classes of particles as well as the measurement of component specific characteristics in a blend, such as the particle size distribution of an active ingredient.
- Static automated imaging combined with Raman spectroscopy.
- Morphological analysis:
- Static automated imaging.
- Particle size range:
- 0.5 µm – 1000 µm.*
(upper limit may be extended up to 10mm for some applications.*)
- Particle properties measured:
- Size, shape, transparency, count, location.
- Particle size parameters:
- Circle equivalent (CE) diameter, length, width, perimeter, area, max distance, sphere equivalent (SE) volume, fiber total length, fiber width.
- Particle shape parameters:
- Aspect ratio, circularity, convexity, elongation, high sensitivity (HS) circularity, solidity fiber elongation, fiber straightness.
- Particle transparency parameters:
- Intensity mean, intensity standard deviation.
- Integrated sample dispersion unit option (Morphologi G3SE-ID only):
- For fully automated dispersion and measurement of dry powders. Manual or SOP control of the dispersion pressure, injection time and sample settling time.
- Dispersion mechanism:
- Sample entrainment, leading to particle shear and particle impaction.
- Dispersion pressure range:
- 0.5 – 5 bar.
- Dispersion pressure precision:
- 0.1 bar increments.
- Injection time range:
- Sample Settling time:
- Sample presentation options:
- 4 slide holder for standard microscope slides.
2 slide holder for large microscope slides.
Large glass plate for integrated dry powder dispersion option.
Wet cell for large particles in suspension.**
25mm and 47mm dia. holders for membrane filters.
- White light, bright field diascopic and episcopic, dark field episcopic.
Polarizer/analyzer and DIC contrast enhancement options.**
- 5M pixel 2592 x 1944 color CCD array.
Pixel size 2.78 mm x 2.78 mm.
- Optical system:
- Nikon CFI 60 bright field/dark field system.
|Particle size range in µm (nominal)||13-1000||6.5-420||3.5-210||1.75-100||0.5-40|
- Chemical analysis:
- Raman spectroscopy.
- Size range for chemical ID:
- Sample and sample substrate dependent.
- Raman spectrometer:
- Kaiser optical systems Inc. RamanRxn1.
- Spectral performance:
- 150 cm-1 to 1850 cm-1, 4 cm-1 resolution
- Laser specifications:
- Wavelength 785nm.
Power output from spectrometer <500 mW.
Power output at sample > 10 mW nominal.
Laser spot size 3 µm at 50x magnification.
- Laser safety:
- Class 3B
- Chemical identification method:
- Raman spectral correlation.
Weight and dimensions
- Dimensions (Main Instrument):
- 440 mm (W) x 760 mm (D) x 750 mm (H).
- Weight (Main Instrument):
- 80 kg approx.
- Dimensions (Spectrometer):
- 584mm (W) x 448mm (D) x 203mm (H).
- Weight (Spectrometer):
- Power requirements:
- 100-240 V ac 50/60 Hz 6.0 A.
- Minimum computer specification:
- Intel Core i7 3770 Processor, 4GB RAM, 1Tb HDD, DVD +/-R/RW drive, 1 x 22" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor for software, 1 x 22" widescreen Flat Panel Monitor for live video feed, 2 high speed USB port (not USB 3.0/Superspeed), 1 Firewire (IEEE1394) port, 1 RS232 port.
- Operating platforms:
- Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit)
Windows XP (32-bit)
- 21 CFR Part 11:
- Mode available to help users achieve technical compliance to 21 CFT Part 11.
- *Sample and sample substrate dependent.
**Morphological analysis only.
- The Morphologi G3-ID and Morphologi G3SE-ID are protected by copyright and design rights, together with patents based on EP2106536A1 and US8111395B2.