- Director of Lean R&D
- The position of Director of Lean R&D will join the R&D leadership team reporting to the VP R&D for Malvern Panalytical.
- Malvern, Worcestershire
About this position
The position of Director of Lean R&D will join the R&D leadership team reporting to the VP R&D for Malvern Panalytical.
For this influential and senior leadership position we are looking for a technical and business savvy leader who is passionate about discovery, design, development and deployment of new initiatives with a keen strategic perspective and drive. The successful candidate will have boundless energy and passion to create a design environment of ‘restless innovation’.
Malvern Instruments and PANalytical announced that effective 1 January 2017 they would be merging their activities. Both companies are owned by parent company Spectris plc and are operating companies within the Materials Analysis segment of Spectris. Both companies are world leading suppliers of analytical instrumentation, PANalytical for X-ray instrumentation and software for the purpose of materials analysis and Malvern Instruments for materials and biophysical characterization technology. The combined entity is a strong player in the materials characterization market and leverages the strengths of the individual companies in their end markets ranging from building materials to pharmaceuticals and from metals and mining to nanomaterials.
The Director of Lean R&D will be responsible for improving and maintaining efficient R&D practices across the combined organisation. The successful individual will be a strong leader who can inspire, influence and lead across the business, and who can build credible relationships within an organizational structure that transcends a conventional direct/indirect reporting structure. They will be a highly-motivated individual with a proven track record of lean innovation and execution within a software and hardware design environment.
Customer engagement in the product development process will be an important element of the role and candidates should therefore be advocates of a customer centric design process.
- Primary responsibility for the Lean R&D strategy for the Malvern PANalytical R&D group.
- Development and management of Lean Innovation KPIs.
- Development of key elements of the strategy including:
- Lean working processes and culture – Agile, MVP, value proposition design etc.
- DFX – data driven design including DFSS, DFM, VA/VE etc.
- Identification and deployment of efficiency enablers such as additive manufacturing and automated software test tools.
- Work closely with the Directors or R&D and Software to develop a fresh and dynamic lean innovation culture aligned to business vision.
- Leadership of the strategies of the technical disciplines to ensure:
- Common approach to tools and processes balancing cost and efficiency whilst recognising the different geographical, market and technological needs
- Best practice sharing for each discipline across and within groups
- Working closely with project and product management develop and maintain the procedures associated with the product development process
- Support integration of acquisitions and adapt lean R&D strategy appropriately to include changing business needs.
- Working with your team and the wider matrix organisation lead or support as required external and internal audits for R&D
- Lead the improvements defined by the Spectris business process excellence R&D workstream working closely with project managers.
- Identify and establish partnerships with key external groups, e.g. Consortia, Universities and Research Institutions.
- Day to day management of Lean R&D team within the matrix organisation
Leadership Attributes and Interpersonal Skills:
- Ability to Influence and inspire in/outside of hierarchy
- Culturally agile, can effectively lead and build bridges in geographically dispersed organizations
- Gravitas, confident, commands attention, can engage across all ranks in the organization, including C suite
- Constructively challenges, incentivizes alternative perspectives
- Insightful and receptive about winning recipes adopted by world class businesses in other industries. Resourcefully connects, adopts, adapts
- Inquisitive nature and fast learner
- Understand that sustainable differentiation requires novel combinations of vision, strategy, process, organization and talent in a unique winning recipe
- Accomplished, with well-tuned balance between ego, ambitions and desire to succeed with the organization (Build bridges)
- Absolute integrity: leads by example, can devise and implement strategies that succeed from within clearly marked ethic and compliance boundaries.
- Delivers on commitments, every time
- Wins by attracting, nurturing and developing superior talent
Skills and Experience
- 1st Class or 2:1 degree in relevant software, engineering or scientific subject
- 10+ years experience in product development with 5+ years management with experience of managing global engineering teams
- Has led or been involved in a global business transformation process ideally as part of a large organisation.
- Practitioner of Lean R&D processes and tools such as DFSS and Scrum.
- Project management experience (including Agile)
- Good understanding of business management including standards and procedures and business finance
- Strong communication and cross division/function team leadership skills.
- Strong presentation skills, able to confidently present at senior executive, conferences and external project reviews
- Highly-motivated self-starter who can think independently, yet work as a team player.
- Ability to travel frequently internationally.
This is an excellent opportunity to be a part of a talented team within a successful company, with a competitive salary complimented by an excellent benefits package.
The position is based in Malvern, Worcestershire.
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter detailing current salary package to email@example.com
Please note that owing to the high number of applications received we will ordinarily only contact you if you are invited to interview. All data is processed in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act.
Malvern is an ethical employer and we ask candidates not to share confidential information about other organizations, including their current employer, during any interview for a position within our organization.