The manufacture of metal powder includes a wide variety of processes for many different applications. The conversion of the powder into finished product, such that metal particles bond together is a procedure that needs to be closely monitored.
Incorrect particle size and particle size distribution, particle shape, surface area, and density can lead to poor metal powder compaction and sintering.
Malvern’s instrumentation makes it easy to test particle size and particle shape in both wet and dry environment during research and development and for quality control duringmanufacture in order to:
- Improve final product performance.
- Optimize production processes.
- Understand the mechanical strength by monitoring:
- The extent of contact between metal particles or compression ratio (e.g. surface area, density).
- The nature of packing behavior (e.g. aspect ratio, shape irregularities).